Shanghai is one of the most populous cities in the world, with a great contrast between the old and the futuristic part, separated by the Huangpu River. In addition, the city has one of the most important ports in the world, which have made it the economic capital of China.
Full of energy and activity at all hours, you can have a drink in its fabulous bars, climb its incredible skyscrapers, taste Chinese and worldwide cuisine, relax in its parks, visit its temples, of course see its famous skyline, haggle in their markets or pay a visit to some of the old ones water villages They are nearby.
After reading several guides and blogs, together with the recommendations of our readers, we have made a list of the 50 things to see and do in Shanghai, of which we will try to know and make the maximum possible on our next trip to Shanghai and Tibet. We start!
1. Visit the Jing'an Temple, a beautiful Buddhist temple that lives up to its name, peace and tranquility.
2. Tour the shops of Yuyuan Market, a grand bazaar known as the kingdom of local snacks and full of shops in traditional-style buildings. Without a doubt, one of the best places to see in Shanghai.
3. Book tickets for the ERA aerobatic show at the Shanghai Circus World, one of the best acrobatics shows in the world.
4. Stroll along the most commercial street in Shanghai, Nanjing Road, full of shops, lights, signs and fast food.
5. Take the ferry to cross to the modern area of Pudong. You can do it several times and at different times of the day, for 2 yuan you will enjoy good views of both sides of the river.
6. See one of the most spectacular skylines in the world from the Bund promenade, day and night.
More things to see and do in Shanghai
11. Go out for dinner in the Xintiandi neighborhood, a tourist area full of shops and restaurants with the charm of its old houses.
12. Visit the Temple of the City God, 600 years old and one of the best things to see in Shanghai.
13. If you do not want to pay commissions when taking money from ATMs in China and always have the current exchange, we recommend using the N26 card to pay and the BNEXT card to get money, our two favorite cards for travel.
You can find much more information in the post of the best cards to travel without commissions ...
14. Make a guided tour in Spanish for its historic center, a good way to learn about the history and curiosities of the city.
15. Eat the best dumplings in Shanghai in the Yang 's Fry-Dumpling.
16. Go up to the 100th floor of the Shanghai World Financial Center, the best viewpoint in Shanghai, with transparent glass floor parts. You can book the ticket in advance here.
44. Get lost looking for a shop or cafeteria through the narrow streets of Tianzifang, an old residential area.
45. Eat good dumplings at the Din Tai Fung restaurant, in the Pudong area.
46. If you still want to buy, you can look for ideas along the shopping street, Huaihai Road, full of shopping centers.
47. Reserve a day to visit Zhujiajiao, one of the oldest water villages, full of bridges and canals, another of the places to see in Shanghai.
48. Disconnect from the stressful Shanghai in Century Park, the largest park in the city full of green areas to relax or play sports.
49. In the areas of the People's Square and Nanjing Street, as we were warned in Beijing, there is the scam of the tea ceremony. If friendly young people who want to practice English come up and mention the tea ceremony at some point, stay away.
50. Take the last drink at VUE Bar, located on the 33rd floor of the Hyatt hotel with outdoor jacuzzi, and say goodbye to Shanghai with incredible views.
For more recommendations you can follow this list of essential tips for traveling to China.
* Book your transfer Airport ⇆ Downtown or Shanghai Hotel here
If you feel like helping us expand the list of 50 things to see and do in Shanghai, add yours in the comments.
** All photos have been provided by Shutterstock.